leak on a Vaillant boiler, with pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed that there is a leak from my Vaillant. Took off the cover and one of the lower support brackets for the boiler/heat exchange had rust on it. There was a pool of water in the bottom of the boiler cover.
What's the verdict? New boiler or a repair job. Boiler 'seems' unaffected, heats the water and heats the rads.
See pics here http://gallery.me.com/robdunford/100062

Sponsored Links
you need a RGI as it looks like the combustion chamber door is leaking products of combustion. I don't think you should even be inside your boiler.

You boiler has the old silicon seal still fitted - get a RGI to fit the new graphite one asap; before the main seal fails and things get expensive.

It is not an expensive repair, about £15 for the part - definitely not a DIY job as you need a flue analyser to check the boiler afterwards.

by the combustion door, I imagine you mean the cast metal thing held in place by large bolts, just above the rusting bracket.
I discovered this leak by accident, there was a plastic box right under the boiler and it was 1/4 full of brown water.
When I ran the boiler with the door off the rusty bracket became wettish, but dried off quickly.
If there is any chance of nasty gasses, I certainly won't be opening the main door and on Monday I will call up the service people (who only serviced it in April)

Sponsored Links
Yes there is a good chance of products of combustion leaking out. When you call your service people, ask why the seal was not changed a this is a well known issue and the MIs state that the old silicon seal had to be changed every two years as part of the service procedure. ;)

The new graphite ones need changing every five, or if disturbed.

But for now get the cover back on :!: :!:

I certainly will take the servicer to task on the seal issue. Maybe he didn't even bother to open the main door ;)
Thanks for the heads up :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back