Leaking cellar - easy (ish) fix-help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Looking for some advice on the problem above.

I rent a lower ground floor flat in London and there is a cellar (kind of) underneath the steps that lead to the ground floor flat like this..

We moved here because of the storage however surface water is getting in making it unusable. When we moved, it was damp, I assumed it was just condensation so I aired and got it dry but now the wet weather is here and it is a lot worse than I thought. Sometimes there is around 1"/1.5" of water in there, floor area is approx 1.5mx4m.

I have got in touch with the landlord and they "working" to fix this but it has already taken 6 weeks and 2 missed visits with no progress so I want to see what I can do myself. I have a feeling if it is big money they will not want to do anything but I need the space so am willing to invest a bit.

I have identified the 3 areas so far where the water comes in:

1) Surface water pools at the top of the steps and drips through slab to drip from the door frame/door to the cellar

2) Surface water pools at the bottom of the steps and it drips in through the slab to cellar floor

3) An old coal shoot cover that has not been sealed properly.

I can only hope it is not from the water table rising but it is a lot of water.

So far I have just used buckets to try and collect it to stop it getting to the floor, I am thinking I could maybe use an elaborate guttering scheme to get the water out through a brick air vent.

But I am wondering what else I can do.....

The coal shoot must be where a lot of it comes from-I am thinking this could be leak proofed with something, cement, screed, filler, silicone, waterproof membrane type thing?

Where it comes from the slab I am not sure what to do-doing something from the outside is a no go as they are not my steps. Is there a spray or something that can be used......I remember seeing something on mythbusters once!

I just need to try and make usable for the next 6 months/year!

Sorry for the essay, all help greatly appreciated, my missus is gonna kill me if I don't get all the stuff that should be in the cellar out of the lounge!

Will

Sponsored Links
If you have an inch or so of water you're gonna need a pump and it will always be damp so anything susceptible will rust/decay.

If I was the landlord I would be looking at blocking up the access to the store and offering a rent reduction as a fix could be ££££s .....

Though you've not said if it was damp when you viewed it.

There ain't no cheap fix for this.

Sponsored Links
If you have an inch or so of water you're gonna need a pump and it will always be damp so anything susceptible will rust/decay.

If I was the landlord I would be looking at blocking up the access to the store and offering a rent reduction as a fix could be ££££s .....

Though you've not said if it was damp when you viewed it.

There ain't no cheap fix for this.

Yes that's what I thought! What method would you recommend for sealing the coal shoot?

Rebuilding the stairs. I've seen this exact problem where I used to live countless times. You can try all sorts of fixes from internal renders, sealing up the cracks, coatings, paints, allsorts. One or several of these may do the trick but probably not and if so probably only temporary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back