Leaking expansion tank

Well I am as certain as I can be that the float valve is not leaking having observed it for a long time.

Is there anyway I can test for the problem being with the hot water cylinder?
Yes. Shut off the supply of mains water to the house, and wait for however long you estimate it will take for the water level to rise in the F&E cistern. While waiting, monitor the level in the cold storage cistern and ll see if it drops by a propertional (i.e. smaller) amount. If it does then you'll know that water is leaving that part of the system and passing into the heating circuit via a hole or split in the cylinder coil.

Is it usual for a cylinder to go wrong in less than 5 years?
No, but nor is it unheard of. Some of them fail after only one year. Some of them never fail.

You can't deduce anything from what's usual and what isn't. You can often save diagnostic time and effort by playing a hunch, based on probability of the cause, but you won't get it right every single time, and you certainly won't get it right by not testing for the simple and commonplace things, like the cylinder failing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back