Leaking pipework in sealed system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in my central heating pipework. It's leaking from a compression joint which I have tried tightening but to no avail. I'm assuming the joint needs replacing, but I have a sealed central heating system and everything I've read says don't attempt to drain a sealed system yourself, leave it to a professional.

So, is there a way of fixing it without draining the system. Is there a magical water repelling gadget that will let me isolate and replace the joint?!

What does draining and refilling a sealed central heating system actually entail?

Does anyone know how much it would cost to call someone out to sort it for me? It's a straight forward repair, I could probably do it myself if it wasn't for this whole draining of the system lark.

I hope that makes sense, if you need more info just let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Sponsored Links
switch off the boiler, disconnect the filling loop if still connected or at least ensure valves on loop are shut, some systems auto refill if you fail to do this,then drain as any other system look for drain off above boiler if there is one drain this first then from drain offs downstairs etc when filling the system bleed from downstairs up and you should be ok use protector you can squirt ordinary protector using a garden pump spayer and tube into a rad bleed valve so dont buy the cartridge ones they are a rip off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back