Limestone Slab patio on concrete uneven base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay some limestone slabs in my backgarden. The problem is that the base is concrete (it used to have a bomb shelter on it!) in most places with a small area of very old slabs. I am going to lay my new slabs on this base.

I will lay the slabs in a mortar bed but how can I build up the existing base to make it level? I would guess that there is perhaps a 5cm (at the most) gap between the lowest points in the uneven base and where I would want the height to be at that point to give the correct level.

5cm seems too small to build up with a crushed hardcore level and of course across most of the area the gap between the current base level and an even level that I can lay on is less than 5cm.

A 5cm gap also seems too big to build up with coarse sand and have the mortar bed on top? Anyone have any ideas on how to build up such a relatively small gap? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back