Lintel Advice for widening window with no cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to widen a window to incorporate a door opening, I'll be bricking up.
It's a 1930's semi with no cavity.
In the photo I'll hopefully make it as wide from the existing window to the far edge of the door (will measure tomorrow).
Just wondering before I speak to builders what lintel would be good?
Steel or two concrete?
Are there any issues with coming up close to where a large steel lintel has been placed in the wall to support a removed wall? is there a certain distance away from that I should be?

Also how can I finish off the outside as so the lintel doesn't show and is weather proof?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It looks like you won't be able to have the window the same height as its at now, as you wouldn't have enough bearing at the side of the padstone?

If you brought the window down to the top of the door. Maybe: a leaf lintel ( L shape) for the outer 4" and a steel beam for the inner one, this would sit about a 1/3 under the padstone.

If the wall to the left of the window is a return you may not be able to put a steel in that close to the edge. Bc like to see a min of 700mm, if not no probs. you should inform bc of your plans especially re your existing steel. Can't see a problem with the height. Your window has a lintel that needs to be removed I'm assuming? It looks like you won't be able to go as wide as to the far edge of the door because of the bearing for your new steel. As for finishing outside don't forget your pad stones will be visible, you could use red engineerings or similar with a soldier course across your steel. You could use UPvc cladding to cover it instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back