living room renovation feat log burner and stepped ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having looked upon endless websites on guidance how to build a step in the ceiling I decided to chart my progress as I renovated my living room[/b]

Sponsored Links
time to start the building work and knock back the plaster and inspect the condition of the wall where the log burner will be.

once the plaster had been removed I discovered to my disappointment that the old brick arched/soldier lintel had been removed when the fire place was previously bricked up.

this meant a reinforced concrete lintel would be required

adding additional support to the brick work above by attaching a steal beam drilled into the brick work I was able to remove the row of bricks and add the lintel

now the brick work is supported I can now open up the fire place to its former glory

right sorry it has been a slow update from my last post,

the opening up of the fireplace seamed endless

since then I have opened up the fire place and as I chipped away the copious amount of bricks and shovelled away the endless amounts off back fill I have finally revealed quite a substantial fire place opening

my next task is to construct a hearth

Sponsored Links
the hearth construction was pretty simply with the forward thought of how to leave a neat finish when tie-ing in the new wooden floor with the hearth I decided to build the base of the hearth up by creating a platform for my hearth stone to sit on

this was done my making some wood shuttering and pouring some flooring compound to raise the level of the base

(a tip is to look for the trolley with the damaged bags on you can usually pick up the overly priced floor compound for half price)

upon this I was then ready to concrete my hearth stone into place and instruct the fitters to install the log burner,

I had already had my quote and had the chimney surveyed, luckily I don't need the chimney lining so the fitting of the burner was fairly simple

with regard to the opening surround I decided to weld two lengths of L section iron back to back this would allow me to leave the internal area of the fireplace brick faced whilst also allowing me to have a solid edge to plaster against when I plaster the external wall of the chimney breast

Hi,

Looks like a good project, I'm about to embark on a similar one myself, swapping a gas fireplace for a stove. I've also got to widen the opening so I'm just looking at how people have installed new lintels

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back