Lockshield Valve Fixed Cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have fitted a new radiator to our bathroom as the previous one had corroded and basically didnt work. Having refitted the existing valves to the new rad I am having trouble getting consistent heat... I cant balance the radiator as the lockshield valve is just a fixed cap and doest turn. well, you can remove it but thats it.

I need to balance the system as the radiator is hot at top and cold at bottom.

Help me pleassssee!!

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You are putting the cart before the horse. changing the rad will do little good, you need to clean the system

Sponsored Links
when you take the cap off there is black water. you can poke your finger into the hole and it feels like an alan key type shape about 10 - 15mm into the valve.

The radiator was well and truly rusted. however I take your point that I should have sorted out the valve etc before replacing it. However it was £30 and it nice and white now, instead of rusty and spotty.

Turning the cap either slackens it off (i.e like a loose nut, which will leak) and tightening does just that, it tightens to a stop.

Are these unusual lockshield valves, or is it something to do with my boiler? All other valves in the house are like it. I have googled for images as no way of getting photo to PC at moment - as you can see from the attached the fixed hex cap does not allow you to open/ close the valve, as far as I can make out!

ITS OK!

I found out how to operate these Lockshield valves - they are called lockshield RLV valves.

Down in amongst the black water there was a 4mm allan-head which had was closing the valve.... just had to slacken it off.

The bathroom will not be so cold tomorrow morning now! Thanks for the advice/ help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back