Loft beam hindering loft ladder - Can I move this timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping for some guidance here please.

I've just fitted a 2 section timber loft ladde. It's almost perfect. The highlighted plank is connected using 2 nails to each vertical beam and it obstructing the ladder from sitting in it's true safety position by about 3 inches.

Would I be able to cut the add 2 replacement timbers, one above and one below where the ladder will sit, at the same angle and cut the 'offending' section out?

204000_203698_60969_73228691_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm hearing these are just spacers from when the roof was constructed. Can anybody confirm :?:

They are diagonal bracing to stop the lot falling over sideways (left/right in your photo) and are needed. However there is not reason not to place other bracing elseware, and then remove that peice.

Daniel

They are diagonal bracing to stop the lot falling over sideways (left/right in your photo) and are needed. However there is not reason not to place other bracing elseware, and then remove that peice.

Daniel

Thank you Daniel, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Daniel

Actually no they are web braces, usually only a requirement on spans over 8mts. There is no other place for them except where they are now.

The rafter diagonal brace runs at roughly 45 degree from wallplate up to underside of ridge and one of the purposes is to stop the lot from falling over.

That said, Removing one and replacing it in slightly different position isnt going to compromise the roof so dont worry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back