Loft boarding and celotex/kingspan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been covered a thousand times but have just read a couple of things that made me wonder if I can do what I planned to....
Current loft done on a grant with rockwool to current regs for previous OAP owners ...no boarded storage area.
Want an easy solution ...so in central area I was going to remove cross-joist rockwool (put excess round edges so just increase depth in other areas), lay kingspan/celotex sheets across joists and then chipboard over top (again across joists).. screw into joists...(like space board or those insulated B&Q boarding panels -but with Kingspan/celotex seconds it would be cheaper than either of those)
My Qs are
Do I need to leave a ventilation gap between rockwool in joists and insulation board across? (just read something about that - if using batons to raise 'floor' level? - unless I misunderstood?)
My thinking - recommended depths ...270mmm rockwool or 175mm kingspan/similar
Joists are 145mm deep - so 145mm rockwool ( 53% of recommended amount) so use 47% of recommended kingspan depth so 82mm -but thought I'd go for 90-100mm.
Could I go for non-foiled Kingspan/celotex at that depth? Is the foil bit important for this?
Would it be strong enough - load is spread because of chipboard?
And just read something about kingspan/celotex losing their insulating properties over time???? Is that true?????

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back