loft boarding questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,
I know these sorts of queastions have been asked again and again (sticky could be good!) but they dont seem to help much with my current position.

My loft insulation is about to be increased, so in preperation we have taken up all the boards(why nail them...) current configuration in the middle section - the only part we intend to reboard is:

7.5m long x 2.5m wide

this is split into small sections of 400mm x 2500mm by beams of 2500mmx100mmx35mm seems to be a treated wood much harder than pine.

We were intending to lay beams at 90deg to the and split into 6 sections of around 400mm would this be a good distance?
Not sure on the ideal dimensions of the new beams and the depth of insulation will vary to fit the space allowed so maximum dimensions would be appreciated.

we were thinking same size again with 180mm of insulation. this giving us a total of 200mm of insulation? so would increase the edges to this (there is a large section surrounding this but not enough height to do much with so was going to leave as is)

The new beams werte going to be screwed at an angle to the original beams

Please say if there is a better way to do any of this

Currently only got about 25mm of insulation so should be a big increase, the previous boarding had been carpeted, would this have improved the insulation by much?

As allways thankyou for any help you can give

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back