Loft insulation along roofline

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to insulate my loft, I have done the bits in between the rafters and covered these with boards for storage, but looking at the roofline there is no insulation, just the bare roof tiles.

Can anyone tell me if I need to put something on to the tiles before I put any insulation on them and if anyone has any ideas as to what to cover the insulation with once fitted that would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure I follow, you have insulated above the ceiling of the first floor and now you want to insulate the rafters under the tiles? If so why?

If you have done a good job of insulating the loft floor you don't need to do the rafters...probably better that you don't unless you want it to be some kind of living space...

If you do decide to do it be very careful that you ventilate properly you need to leave a good 50 mm gap between the insulation and the tiles and make sure that air can flow behind them - wickes used to do a good leaflet about it - not sure if they still do or not...
basically air must be able to come in behind the insulation at the roofline and flow all the way round to the oppostie roof line.
You might need to increase the depth of the rafters and even replace some tiles with ventilated ones...
To insulate them you can use loft insulation roll fixed up with netting or use something like celotex or polystrene boards - the latter 2 won't need covering .You can cover with plasterboard...vapour backed stuff...

Lots of people have problems with condensation in the loft - so make sure even if you only do the floor that air can enter above the insulation...

I'm not an expert but due to the funny layout of my house I
decided to have my rafters insulated instead of the loft floor ...it was so complicated I decided to get a company in to do it for me and they did a really bad job and on advice of an architect, builder and structural engineer it all had to come down...
I then tried to insulate just one area of the rafters - with netted up loft roll but leaving a generous gap behind -after a year when i took some down (by pure chance) I thought my roof was leaking - in one patch approx 1ft by 1ft the wood was soaking wet with signs of the start of mould growth (my roof is wood lined under the tiles) - only to find my roof was sound but the insulation had been pushed in filling the gap ....I found the same thing in another patch when I gave up and took the whole lot down... I really wouldn't do it unless it was essential...

Not sure I follow, you have insulated above the ceiling of the first floor and now you want to insulate the rafters under the tiles? If so why?

Hi there,

I am just trying to insulate it as much as possible (within reason) as I am not 100% convinced that I have insulated the floor completely!

Sponsored Links
Well I would concentrate on insulating the floor properly, if the floor is insulated properly there is no advantage or point in insulating the pitch too infact it can be detrimental.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back