Loft insulation celotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, parts of my loft are boarded for storage without the leg raisers which allow you to go for thicker loft insulation.

I’d like to take the floorboards up, then put celotex insulation down, then screw boards back down.

What thickness celotex board do I need to achieve the recommended equivalent to 270mm wool insulation?

What I’d then like to do everywhere else is lift up the wool insulation, replace with celotex, then lay the insulation back on top (except where there’s floor boards already)

This is for insulation on the loft floor between the joists, not the roof.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
My advice: do not use celotex.
Rockwool is perfect for the job and a lot cheaper, so i wouldn't replace it.
If you really have to, use quinn board insulation which is not flammable.
Celotex burns like petrol.
If you don't believe it, take a piece from any broken slab in large builders merchant and try.
I did on a friend's suggestion and I was shocked that celotex is still on the market.

They must have changed the formula since the grenfell tower disaster.
I tried it myself and it caught fire like a haystack soaked in petrol.

Sponsored Links
I believe PIR performance is around double that of mineral wool - leave 100mm wool between the joists and put 100mm celotex over. Top up the existing wool with the left over where you're not flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back