Loft insulation on the cheap!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking for a cost effective & easy method to insulate my loft efficiently. I've topped up to 8" of Rockwool above the ceiling on the parts that aren't boarded over. I was wondering about insulating under the roof it's self. It's a standard tiled pitched roof with a moisture barrier underneath supported by 2" by 4" rafters. I only use this area for storage at the moment, but was considering a loft conversion at a later date. Say five years or so. So, I don't want to spend loads now. Would I be wasting my time by buying that Astro foil type stuff and stapling it across under the rafters? It seems quite expensive stuff for what it is though. Or, maybe foam laminate floor underlay would work. It seems cheap at 35p/m2. Or, foil backed laminate underlay at £1/m2? I've even thought about just stapling up kitchen foil or kitchen foil backed with cardboard!

Would I just be wasting my time and effort and should leave it as it is for now?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Colin

Sponsored Links
not sure about the implications for a roof but a cheep form of insulation ive used on a boat is bubble Plastic.... better than kitchen foil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back