Loft insulation queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My house, constructed in 2006 and extended in 2017 to include a bedroom with a vaulted ceiling, has only 100mm of insulation in the loft area. I'm considering adding more insulation (aware that I would unfortunately have to remove the existing boarding) and would greatly appreciate advice on the following:

1. Is there even any point insulating given I have several dormer windows which presumably I cannot retrofit additional insulation into?
  2. Is there adequate ventilation in the loft for additional insulation? From what I can tell, there is no eaves ventilation, and only one roof tile vent. Unsure if the felt membrane is breathable, (suspect not though else a tile vent wouldn't have been needed?)
  3. Any insight into why the main loft space is plasterboarded on the lower part of the roof truss?
Attached are pictures of the main loft area, the section leading to the vaulted ceiling, and a gap between the plasterboard and the roof line in the truss, showing the membrane (for assessment of breathability).

Appreciate any guidance on these queries.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 16.01.40.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 16.01.40.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8717.jpeg
    IMG_8717.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8723.jpeg
    IMG_8723.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8762.jpeg
    IMG_8762.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9163.jpeg
    IMG_9163.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9165.jpeg
    IMG_9165.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Hi, aware I posted this on Boxing day when others were likely not on their computers! Any advice from members on the forum would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back