loft insultation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The floor joists in the attic are about 100mm in height, i need to put down 270mm of insulation, whats the safest way of increasing the height of the joists

Sponsored Links
Install 100mm insulation
Then fit 170mm timbers running at right angles to the existing joist.
Then fill the new void between timbers.

Given that OP called them "floor joists" and "attic" rather than loft, I assume they are already boarded.

Sponsored Links
Builder Centre have a special offer on DIY loft insulation at the moment.
170mm rolls for only £3 per roll. Time to double up on loft insulation. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

the floors not boarded as yet thats the issue with joists that are only about 100mm high and insulation that needs to be 270mm, what want to do is increase the joist hight put down the insulation and then board the attic floor to use it as storage space

Follow my instruction then, put 170mm deep timbers at right angles to the existing joist and fill in the voids with insulation.
Must add, that you need to be careful when electric cables are run through thermal insulation, as this will effect the safe current capacity the cable can carry can carry, this is mostly an issue with socket circuits. Lighting circuits that are protected by 5/6 amp fuse/breaker are normally okay.
So if you do have any electric cables in the loft insulation, it could well need to be moved to a safe location or upgraded.
If you can tell me what you have, cable size, circuit type and fuse/breaker size can offer better advice.

Given that OP called them "floor joists" and "attic" rather than loft, I assume they are already boarded.
the floors not boarded as yet thats the issue with joists that are only about 100mm high and insulation that needs to be 270mm, what want to do is increase the joist hight put down the insulation and then board the attic floor to use it as storage space
Always dangerous to assume anything :LOL: ;)

Just checking you were going to board the loft; go with PBD method ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back