Low water pressure

pdg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
hope you can help.

I have low c&h pressure in the bathroom basin upstairs(hot in particular) but not the bath, cystern or shower(pumped) We have a baxi boiler located in the fireplace downstairs. The hot water tank is upstairs and the cold tank is in the loft.

When I moved here a couple of years ago the water there was an old vanity unit and old taps. The pressure was low then so I thought new taps might fix the problem. I took out the vanity unit and basin an replaced with a mixer tap and basin/pedastool. This does not seem to have done anything to resolve the low pressure.

In addition the location of the taps with regard to the location hot tank is only a couple of metres. The taps are approx level with the top of the tank possibly resulting in the low pressure. This might explain the hot water but not the cold. Pressure is ok everywhere else in the house.

I know a pressured system would resolve this but we do not want to refit the bathroom and boiler for a few years yet.

TIA
Paul

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the standard problem of the taps you have fitted are designed for mains pressure or at least a combi hw system.

If this is the case it will usually give the minimum pressure needed to let them work correctly in th MI's.

Mains pressure taps have smaller waterways in them.

I no longer have the instructions for the tap.
Does this mean taps specifically meant for a gravity system or mains pressure should work better?
Thanks

Paul

Try and google the taps to find specifications. If they are designed for mains then the performance on gravity will be useless, especially upstairs in a house :eek:

Realistically in a house you will only have around 0.25 Bar on any upstairs gravity fed taps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I did find the details and the taps on the sellers website. They specified 1 - 5 bar. I have since found taps that can go on a 0.2 bar system so looks like I will fit some new taps. Thank for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back