Mains water pressure question - low dynamic pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am in the process of getting a new boiler (hopefully thru the Green Deal). Our electric upstairs shower dies a death as soon as you look at a tap in the house so I am concerned about our pressure. I bought a mains water pressure gauge which I just attached to the dishwasher supply (right next to the kitchen rising main). I live in Oxford, Thames Water area, and the static pressure reads 5bar, which seems quite good. I then turned on the kitchen tap and it dropped to 1 bar, and with the bath tap on upstairs at the same time the pressure was not registering at all.

I then tested flow - getting 2L in 10 seconds from the kitchen tap

Fluid dynamics not being my strong suit I want to know what this means (and if it is a problem or a normal finding).

A few things I know
- my next-door neighbours replaced their old lead supply pipe and they said it was extremely corroded. I am pretty sure mine has never been replaced
- my pavement valve has been replaced recently (found that it didn't work when I had an internal leak and the rising main stop cock handle snapped in my hand it was so rusty, that was a fun day)

My main questions:
- does this finding mean my water supply pipe is knackered or is it normal for pressure to drop that much?
- if I replace the supply pipe with MDPE will the dynamic pressure be improved?
- do I need to replace the supply pipe before installing a combi boiler?
- if so anyone recommend the best way to get it done (I have a Homeserve policy in place for the water supply pipe but I assume this problem is not covered under their policy)

I have tried all the forums and not found the answer. Any help very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I thought that the FAQ on this site explained dynamic flow rate?

Basically you need a minimum flow rate of say 12 litres/minute whilst a pressure of say 1.0 bar remains in the pipework.

Whilst a tap will fill a bath with no remaining pressure a shower or many kitchen taps require a significant pressure to force the flow through the small holes in the shower head.

Very unfortunately a high proportion of plumbers dont understand dynamic flow either!

Replacing the old lead will give a good improvement in flow rate. Measure it at any neighbour who has had the lead replaced.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back