Making good basement ceiling prior to insulating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My office is above the basement garage, covering ~half its area. The office floor is cold, and I'm preparing to insulate the garage ceiling (2 layers overlapped 20mm Jackodur -> 40mm total).

Attached image shows some damage to the ground floor slabs, viewed from basement garage. Damage is I think from initial build, and exposed rebar have been sprayed with what I presume is anti-rust treatment. Width of the damaged section on the right is ~20cm; there are five areas of similar size in all - the rest of the ceiling (30m2) is in good order.

View media item 38524
The left hand damaged area is ready to fall off, and I'm not sure how to best make good the damage prior to installing the insulation.

3 questions:
1. I presume I should pull down any flakey-looking sections (such as at left on photo) and treat any exposed rebar, if so, what with?

2. Once the rebar is appropriately treated, I should fill the holes - right? What with - quick dry cement OK? Is it worth also filling the many drilled holes which used to support lights, cable runs, etc?

3. Should I stick the DPC up to the ceiling and insulate over it, or trim it, or fold down to the wall and stick it there?

Any advice appreciated,
AP

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back