Making good lath and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have knocked a hole through an existing lath and plaster wall( plaster is sooty render with skim really ':evil:' ) in readiness to get the stairs up to our loft.

The plaster has come of a little more than wanted so will strip back to the next stud so the lath finishes on a stud and not mid span

If i fix a new stud and then a timber lining to form a 'stop' at the opening created could I infil the gap between the existing stud where the lath finishes with plasterboard and skim over? A bit worried about cracking between the different types.

Thanks

J

Sponsored Links
You can make good with plasterboard. Skim with multi finish adding a good cup full of lime to the mix. Will take longer to go off and the finish will be a weaker finish but it will be more flexible because of the lime content.

sorry i don't have a usb cable to download any pics off my phone- the lime idea sounds it could work

Cheers

Sponsored Links
sorry i don't have a usb cable to download any pics off my phone
the reason i asked for pics is if its just plaster coming off with a few exposed laths then this could be patched without the need for boards ect, if you can post some pics then people on here would tell you exactly how they would fix it using the best method

I'll try over the next few days as this isn't being completed until next week once the stairs are in

o.k. finally got around to adding some pics!

I will be putting another stud in next to the newel post
I have a plasterer in who reckons it will be ok to tidy up the lath and plaster and renail and then piece in some plasterboard for a final skim over...would be intrested to know some further opinions

the last pic is some of the bulkhead we had to take out to get the stringers down. I am assumming somthing similar with piecing in plaster board in and then skiming as the existing render is as thick if not thicker than pb.

Cheers

What's wrong with replacing the laths and then plastering with proper lime plaster - especially if your building is essentially built with lime mortar.

What's wrong with replacing the laths and then plastering with proper lime plaster - especially if your building is essentially built with lime mortar.

Where would I get laths

Probably takes longer and don't have the time

Hammer fixing the lath is likley to damage the existing plaster even further

Is that black sooty stuff lime mortar?

I have tidied up the laths with a recip saw - If the plasterboard works then this will be easier and will patch in where needing with some carlite and the plasterer will finish with skim coat

Laths can be bought from lots of companies who sell lime products e.g. Mike Wye in Devon (find them on Google).

You don't have to nail the laths, you can screw them which is what I did where I was doing repairs as opposed to doing the whole ceiling.

Lime mortar is whiter than cement, not black and sooty; that sounds like soot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back