Making use of my water butt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After the recent hosepipe ban I'm left stuck with no way to jet wash my patio...or am I? Will my jet washer work with very little pressure from the hose end if I connect it to the butt? (without damaging it of course!)

Also, I am toying with the idea of connecting a pump to the water butt so that if I want to spray the car off I can. Does anyone have any suggestions for a small pump that would do the job?

Thanks in advance!

Gunter.

Sponsored Links
I doubt if you would be able to use the pressure washer by just connecting to the water butt. I should think it would not be too difficult to fix a suitable pump. But, is it worth the bother, is your water butt large enough to cope, and leave you enough water for the garden as well?
Regarding your patio, you might be able to clean it by other means.
Spray it with Jeyes fluid or Armillatox if there is any algae to remove. Then sprinkle it fairly thickly with sharp sand. Leave overnight, and probably it will be damp from dew next day, if not lightly sprinkle with water.
Then brush the sand well with a deck scrub brush. Leave to dry, then sweep up the sand, deposit on the garden soil to improve drainage, and the patio should come up nice and clean.
This was suggested to me some time ago, and it works quite well.

Thanks for the replies. I see the Karcher pipe goes into the water butt, so it should be possible to use the pressure washer without mains pressure (as mine is a Karcher as well). My butt has a tap on it, so I can actually connect the hose straight up to that instead of buying the special pipe. As for that water butt pump, that looks the dogs danglies...I might have to invest in one of those!

Thanks for the links!

Sponsored Links
Its worth checking the rules on the water ban. I heard on news the other day you could not use hose for cleaning car but could fill a paddling pool and swimming pool! I have a feeling jet washing was ok too, but it could be a regional thing. Worth checking with the local water board before you try to figure out the pressure issue1

skellem said:
My butt has a tap on it, so I can actually connect the hose straight up to that instead of buying the special pipe.

Don't forget to put an inline filter in in that case. Water butts normally have a colection of fine grit at the bottom, as well as moss and bird muck etc. These will soon knacker your jet washer. :idea:

The whole point of having a water butt is to be eco-friendly.
Using a pump would be cancelling out the good work you're doing.

Why don't you buy a wire brush and do it the old fashioned way?

It's only a patch of concrete that you walk on, just use a broom once a week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back