Meter query- do they auto adjust for BST/GMT?Ours is wonky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a daft question I think they should do, but just went to take the readings for ours (Economy 10) and noticed the clock on it is an hour behind what is now GMT (it was reading 8pm at 9pm).
Is the meter kaput? Could be a chance to get the DNO out to sort it and ask them to fit an isolator switch while they're at it.

We got a rebate of £155 in June and there was no issues with the wrong time in the summer so it's "jumped" back 2 hrs.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
can you post a photo of your meter? Modern ones are switched by radio signal not timeclock.

Do you know what time the meter actually switches over?

the contract usuallu says you will get X hours at cheap rate (sometime) between xxpm and YY am, so you may not be able to demand a change.

Do you use it for storage heaters, or what?

The economy 10 gives us a much reduced rate between:
04:30-07:30
13:30-16:30
20:30-00:30

I took meter readings at 9:15 and at half past put a wash on, and banged on both immersion elements as I'd forgot if readin 1 or 2 was the off peak..it's reading 2.

The meter doesn't have any of the stuff attached like our works ones(the discreet black strips and wires that enable disconnection etc)

The meter is SSE "Multirate Meter Series S".

I waited til half nine as the meter was reading half eight. If the meter is wonky it may work in our favour a bit in the summer if it doesn't move, but then if they come round for the 2 yearly inspection it could cause problems if they realise we've had off peak prices in peak times?
It's just gonna confuse the other half though, she struggles with it when it's right never mind out of sync!

Sponsored Links
maybe it's a scam by the elec company, hope we don't notice and use it as normal when the rate is higher as would have happened tonight?

it appears to be timeclock controlled not radio controlled, but it is capable of seasonal control. I think you need to pop down there and observe the actual time it changes over. There might be info on the SSE website, or those people at Drayton might know

If it was me I would also have a timeswitch on my immersion heaters.

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/utilities.php#communication

sorry I don't know. "Seasonal Control" might mean it has summer/winter adjustment programmed in. I think you need to watch it and see when it changes over.

There's no visible sign of it "switching over" as far as I can see? Might boost it when it should come on(half 8 real time, an hour early on the meter) see which reading goes up a unit in 15mins or so?
We have programmable immersion timers but they're a total nuisance- we used to have them set for an hour 15:30-16:30 so there was hot water for a shower for me after work. Stopped this as not always home, she works rolling shifts, so a waste on most days and not spending ages working out when each of us will be home and need a shower every week different-
This was expensive for just an hour a day- we got the £155 back in a year.
Our water heating is either/and/or
A/ immersion=expensive, not instant when needed,
B/ the multifuel stove with back boiler- good in winter but again not instant, if been away useless when get back etc, takes hours to get a tank of hot water
C/ solar=useless in winter, unreliable in summer but good on a hot sunny day
Hence the reason I want to fit an instant shower! Why run 6kw of electric and wait an hour for the tank to heat when a 5 minute shower is instant and would use about 800w?
Ridiculous to have a 2yr old house and can't come home and just have a hot shower when I want!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back