Microwave stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without warning or any signs, our microwave suddenly stopped working last week. We normally switch it on/off from the wall socket. Switched it on, the display stayed blank and nothing happens. I've changed the fuse in the plug but no joy. Sockets are definitely working with other appliances.

It's this model: Kenwood K30GSS from Currys, bought in 2015.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Your family will be more "miffed" if you start poking around in it without knowing how to do it safely. Microwaves innards remain potentially deadly even when switched off and disconnected from the mains.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry. I'm not about to start poking inside. Is it worth getting it repaired? Not sure where I could take it to.

Don't worry. I'm not about to start poking inside. Is it worth getting it repaired? Not sure where I could take it to.

Hard to tell, depends on what's wrong. If it's just an internal fuse.. maybe. Magnetron probably not. Have a look for small appliance repairers in your area.. but they are few and far between in my experience in our throwaway culture.

Before chucking it, i would check the internal fuse.
IF you decide to open it up, where the wire comes in there will be a little circuit board, you will notice a fuse on there.

If you have a multi-meter check it with the continuity tester.
They only cost a few pounds for a pack.

If that doesn't work, unless you know electronics do not mess with the rest - Very high voltages.
I would say its worth getting a quote.

I remember my parents bought a microwave - back in like 1993 and i used it right until a few years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back