Minimum alcohol pricing in Scotland....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/may/14/minimum-alcohol-price-scotland-50p?newsfeed=true

What a load of f***ing b*ll**** sold as a "deterrent" to us feckless Jocks from drinking ourselves to death...

1/ it won't stop any alcoholics from drinking themselves to death.

2/ it'll save 60 lives in the first year? Oh yes....60 central belt "schemies"/"neds"(Chavs to you southerners) who probably live in the most deprived areas, in p*ss poor housing, no job, sh*t diet, no exercise and fat, smoke, take other forms of drugs anyway and will never get their pension cos they'll get stabbed in the bookies by wee Shuggie for knocking over his tin of Irn Bru....or be in the jail cos they are wee Shuggie...

F***ing tax on those that drink responsibly. Just hope ALL the proceeds go to the NHS or else it's just a scam tax....

England and Wales are getting it next.....but at 50p a "unit" that means your "strong beer" should come down to 25p a pint eh?? ;)

Hope the SWA challenge this it surely can't be legal as Euro law trumps any of our so called national laws anyway...we've handed over all our real law making!

Wonder how long it'll be before the central belt spivs start hiring a van and doing a booze cruise to Carlisle eh??? :eek:

Sponsored Links
England and Wales are getting it next.....but at 50p a "unit" that means your "strong beer" should come down to 25p a pint eh?? ;)
:

Supposedly aimed at supermarkets selling booze at cost or below cost rather than alcohol sold in pubs but I'm sure it'll result in higher prices there too :cry:

Aye no doubt! I've recently found a job closer to home(total career change!!) and it's working in a distillery making whisky! The boss says that 80% of the cost of our 12yr old single malt is purely duty to the government.
Whisky is hammered duty-wise compared to cider and wine too....

Sponsored Links
I only wish oor local hostelry sold alcohol at 50p per unit of alcohol. A pint of lager (2.8 units) costs £3.20p. Still cheaper to buy it from the offie and drink at hame.
As you say, it's just another tax raising scam and the only ones to benefit from it will be the fookin government.

the only ones to benefit from it will be the fookin government.

Governments don't have money. Don't you realise your endlessly saying the same thing makes you look silly?

Governments don't have money. Don't you realise your endlessly saying the same thing makes you look silly?

Hmm ok then I'll change that. The only one's to benefit from it will be the fookin MP's. (when their expenses go up (think bar tabs here) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Happy now?

Their expenses aren't linked to alcohol pricing.

Their expenses aren't linked to alcohol pricing.

Yes they are.
They'll drink more to cope with the pressure of trying to explain to their constituents why the price has gone up, thereby claiming more in expenses for the extra booze they have to drink. :LOL:

They don't though - it's just a childish notion.

Its not the first time and i doubt it'll be the last that we're just screwed into paying out more of our money. I'd be very surprised if putting the price up makes anyone drink less. Years ago I used to have lots of friends who smoked. Every year in the budget they put an above inflation rise on the price of a packet of fags, alledgedly to try and discourage people from smoking because its bad for you. Whlist all my smoker friends complained about the increase, not one of them ever said to me "i'm going to smoke less or stop smoking because of the cost". Same with fuel prices, keep putting them up so we'll use our cars less... that's the theory, not a chance of it happening in real life in my opinion. I use my car to get me to work, so no matter how much fuel costs, i'll have to buy it. Unless the government want me to stop driving to work, stop paying income tax and start claiming benefits instead?

Same with alcohol. Those that drink it excessively don't drink it because its cheap, they drink it because they either want to, or because they're addicted and can't live without it. Alcoholics don't worry about whether they can afford it or not, they buy it because they need it.

It's a fine balance , how far to go with rises while making all the right noises about it being the right thing to do, butactually making sure the tax take doesn't suffer too much.

Sponsored Links
Back