MIRA Excel temperature fluctuation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the temperature of the water ouput of my shower. It developed this problem several months ago.
It tends to run way too hot at lower pressure settings. I can turn the temp controller to 1 and at a low flow setting it will still be very hot. If I turn the water flow up it will cool down eventually but only once the pressure virtually has me pinned to the wall. However after running it for a while if I turn it off for a bit and then turn it back on it seems to work OK.
It is a MIRA Excel thermostatic shower from the mid to late 90's. It is the old low pressure type 903.27/28 with a yellow hub. I know that the water system has been changed since it was fitted and now runs with a Megaflow. Thus we have quite high hot/cold water pressure.
My boiler is an oil-fired Trianco. Ancient but absolutely no problems.
Nothing has been done to the heating/plumbing to account for a behaviour change.

I called Caradon Mira and they advised cleaning the filters. Well, I pulled it out and there are no filters to this early model. Spray plate is OK.

I have searched this site but can find nothing leading me to this problem.
Could it be that the thermostatic qualities of the cartridge have given up or it is scaled up inside?
I apologise for going on but wanted to give as much info as I could.
Hope someone will be kind enough to help.
Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Sponsored Links
But I bet you wish you had!! They are about the cheapest around for a replacement cartridge. I assume by your link that you reckon the original cartridge has given up the ghost.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back