Missing brick in an awkward place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not so much a missing brick but one that appears to have been broken in the past and hidden behind an old, now removed, gas pipe, and was full of mud so not noticed until today. I found it when I was blasting dirt off the bricks with a jet wash. Indian sandstone laid along that wall the other day now well set in place. The brick is a couple below DPC. You can see the inner brick skin through the hole but the cavity at that point seems to be full of concrete stuff.

Would you:

A) remove the Indian flag stone in front of the hole, hoping you don't break it or cause any surrounding flags to be pulled up with the mortar (primer on the underside of each flag as well), and then put a half brick in with mortar.

B) leave the flags in place and try to fill the whole with either lime mortar or coarse sand / cement mix.

?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230905_175758.jpg
    20230905_175758.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 16939396371026792070058417569440.jpg
    16939396371026792070058417569440.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
B. Definitely B.
You should be able to work lots of mortar into it carefully with a couple of trowels.

Thanks chaps.

Would you go for coarse sand and cement, or lime/cement/sand from ready mix bag? I have both available.

Sponsored Links
I’d go with whatever gives a better colour match after a quick test patch, if you care. Or whichever you want to use up if not

Although if you use a gun, don’t go coarse. But if troweling either is fine. Use plasticiser/fairy

I'd put it near the end of the job list and get to it in around 10 years time when all the big stuff has been worked through

Thanks for the feedback, lads. It's put my mind at rest!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back