mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to order a thermostatic mixer shower but after reading the instructions I have a few questions.
It syas that the hot feed should be taken from the vent and draw off point from the hot cylinder and the cold should be taken directly from the cold feed tank.
After checking the existing pipework for the mixer shower I have at the moment, the hot is taken from the draw off point from the cylinder, but the cold is taken from the cold feed to the cylinder and not directly from the cold water tank.
Would it be safe to use the existing pipework or would it be better if I ran the cold pipework to the shower directly from the cold feed tank?

Sponsored Links
The shower instructions quite correctly are telling you to use tank fed supplies to both side of the mixer so the pressures are equalised.

If you have correctly identified the supplies to your esisting shower then you have mains pressure cold and tank fed hot. It is unlikely to be working properly.

Why not correct the pipework first and then decide if you want/need a new shower?

Tony Glazier

Agile, I think you've misunderstood.

Firstly, the OP is suggesting that he takes the cold supply to the shower from the cold feed to the DHW cylinder - this would provide the same pressure to the shower as if it were taken directly from the CSS.

Secondly, I don't see anything in the first post that indicates that the use of mains water at the shower.

thats correct softus, my only worry was that the instructions said to come direct from the cold water tank to the shower by a direct pipe.
I should have also said that the pressure in the existing set up is fine, and the only reason im changing it is because im fitting a new suite.

Sponsored Links
thats correct softus, my only worry was that the instructions said to come direct from the cold water tank to the shower by a direct pipe.
I should have also said that the pressure in the existing set up is fine, and the only reason im changing it is because im fitting a new suite.

Hi UnionJack

Your proposed piping will work, but the manufacturers recommended method happens to be better, because sharing a feed creates the risk of fluctuating cold flow whenever other hot taps in the house are opened or shut.

thanks for the help softus, ive decided to change the cold water tank in the loft while im at it due to the poor condition its in so Ill reroute the pipework while im at it, again thanks for the help

Good decision I feel. And you're most welcome :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back