Money and Investment management software

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a few years, I've used MoneyDashboard, to keep an eye on my various accounts and investments. It automatically, given access, updated itself on my banking accounts, but I had to manually update it regularly with investment values. MD went out of business last month, so I've been looking around for a replacement, hopefully something that ran on the PC.

I tried Snoop, OK but mobile phone only, and no way to include investments. I've just swapped to Moneyhub, again mobile phone only, but it does include many more banks, as well as tapping into the value of investments, though it's not perfect at the latter, it makes the error of reading the 'Fund value' rather than the 'Surrender value' of one account. Even better, would be if it checked share values too.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought of a spreadsheet? I wouldn't trust a 3rd party cloud/startup with all this info. It is very easy to automate attacks.

Excel can use external data sources for your stocks.

Have you thought of a spreadsheet? I wouldn't trust a 3rd party cloud/startup with all this info. It is very easy to automate attacks.

Excel can use external data sources for your stocks.

I hate repetitive manual tasks, manually checking a number of accounts, investments etc., would be a real pain in the bum for me. Great, would be some software on my PC, which could simply automate all of this.

I know a prince in Nigeria who could do this for you HB with no need on your part to worry about anything with no charge just send him all your bank details and all will be sorted very quickly.:cool:

Sponsored Links
I know a prince in Nigeria who could do this for you HB with no need on your part to worry about anything with no charge just send him all your bank details and all will be sorted very quickly.:cool:

Does he have the approval of the banks, to do this? The banks approve the software and only allow read only access, so not really much help for a Nigerian.

I hate repetitive manual tasks, manually checking a number of accounts, investments etc., would be a real pain in the bum for me. Great, would be some software on my PC, which could simply automate all of this.
You are granting them access to a lot of powerful info. If they are hacked, you are screwed.

Didn't you recently reckon they took money out, via direct debit iirc, without any input from you?

Not quite, google took a payment from paypal, paypal then took that from the bank account I had tied to paypal. I clawed the payment back, and paypal lost a customer, because they failed to resolve my dispute - simples. What has that got to do with the price of fish, corporal?

I've just spotted, that MoneyHub, has a web interface which I can log into, and use on my PC. It is identical to the phone interface, but much very more useable on a PC.

For the avoidance of doubt.. These systems need the express approval of the banks, and banking institutions, before they can download your data. It is a one way service - they can only download the value of the contents of your account, they do not have access to withdraw, or transfer any money anywhere.

The big advantage, is that they make it so very easy to keep an eye on your accounts and investments, all in one place, and they flag up any payments made, which are out of the ordinary, for you to approve as valid.

I've noticed a couple of things, since using this app....

I have my banks set up, to send me instant notifications to my phone, the instant any transactions occur. Moneyhub, stops these, and instead sends you it's own notification.

Also, when checking the value of your investments, it reports back the Fund Value, rather than the amount you would get, the Surrender Value, it's actual worth. I've discussed this with them, and they say that is normal, but they are considering revising it, or making it an option. The only way to track an investments real value at the moment, is by manually setting it up, and manually tracking it in the app :(

You can use Google Sheets. or much better Office365, to get share prices automatically into a spreadsheet.
I have bank etc apps on the phone so I can see quickly. Some would be awkward, eg if they only give interest at the end of the term but there are various conditions for early access.
FOr shares you can use various screners (I haven't heard of moneyhub) but I don't know of one which really shows you how a stock is doing, like how much it changed in each of the past weeks. Piece of cake in Excel.

It's easy to get a bit paranoid. The pound/dollar rate variation makes a mockery of close monitoring of US share prices.
Must say it's a bloody hassle keeping watch on the likes of building society ISA interest rates as they're high and moving. Have you looked at one of the "Savings Platforms". Sometimes they don't have the absolutely most attractive options for some people, but with your dosh in one place it's easy to switch about. You get your 85K FSCS cover on each individual institution, not per platforrm.
Flagstone is quite good in that you can show and decide how much will be covered by the FSCS.
I have over the limit in an Close Brothers easy access account. It's a good rate, and they're well enough capitalised, and dead helpful. Its too much hassle to split things up too much.
Good is relative, at around 5-6% pa.
Like everyone ( & I) said they would, crypto related stocks have been going up for a while. Like 86% just in November .
You can look for a stock with a good result/upgrade and see how it goes - the info is free - and stick money in one doing OK. I just used a company (big in the US) called Affirm. It's grown 43% over the last 4 days.
Rolls Royce has grown 35% in the last month.
These have all been slow enough rises, unlike simple reactions to results, that any old fool can hitch a ride.
Zero skill, just look for them. Why should anyone bother with 5-6 percent?
If you CBA to look for that sort, just check one of the indexes. US ones did 12% last month. It could be under a mattress for 11months and you'd still be better off. There are 3x and 5x index funds, too.

It pains me to say it for some reasons, but eToro is an easy broker to use for slowish - say weekly, trading. You can stick money in and leave it in something slow, or single stocks. A nice thing is that you can use and guarantee a " trailing stop loss" so if the price should fall by more than some amount you set, like like 1%, it'll sell automatically and you get 99% regardless of how far it goes. The guaranteed stop-loss price you'd get ratchets up as the price goes up. (If you want to do scalping which gets you 2-3x the daily rise, you'd need a different broker)

Have you not considered an e-z-rading platform Harry?

Those stocks I mentioned are all likely to carry on up a bit uness the general market turns down for some reason. Start with a demo account, you'll have access to a lot of information even with one of those.
Don't guess, get news to suggest why something is doing well, if it's not a trend that's already in place. Look at Sharecast. I expect MongoDB will appear as a "buy" too. Big companies only - the spread will be too wide on tiddlers. Most "good news" results in a rise which is over before you can get to it. Stock will often rise in anticipation of a good results day, so use that. Get in and out - you'll never go bust taking a profit too early. YOu'll ;earn which trends continue. Don't buy off the open in case there's news you haven't heard, and if it's positive the first buy price of the day willl be horrible,
You can look at Sharecast and get an idea of the mood (or Bloomberg the night before) and then just buy the index, or a mulyple of it like QQQ5 for. No ned to get up early, NY opens 14:30 GMT.

Well one of the companies I mentioned,Coinbase, went up about 5% today, Mara 8.5%, and Rolls Royce 3 point summat.
Affirm didn't carry on with 11%. it was only 2.3%, Mongo didn't move.
It's not like a horse race, you can change horses free, so you'd have put your money on a small number of them and waited to see which was doing better.
I switched to Mara after I'd missed the opening jump , which was 11% (you always miss those). I only had one stock to watch then so was able to get 10% out of it. If you can't see how that's done, look at the thread in Hobbies. 50k, leveraged x5, = a punt of £250k. X10% = 25k, today. Less *^"@~ tax.
There are free daily missives advising about what's likely.

There are dozens of ETFs coming up which will give bitcoin (etc) respectability. So why use a broker? Well they're a bit odd, and the approval authorities have sought advice and comforting vibes from the biggest broker, Coinbase, so that's the one to go for longer term.

Sponsored Links
Back