Mortar Repointing to Outside of House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advice please.

My property was built in the 1970's and a few holes from old fixings and cables exsist in the mortar between the bricks on the rear of the property.

I intend to repoint and fill the holes in-between the brickwork. As part of this I have noticed a couple of things that I am not sure if I should be concerned about? Would appreciate some advice please.

Picture 1 and 2 shows the a mortar gap around the bottom bricks around the rear, can I just apply mortar over the top?

1.jpg 2.jpg

As a comparison Picture 3 shows the equivalent area on the front of the property.

3.jpg

Picture 4 shows gaps in brick work above a window with some nails in-between the brick work. Should I just fill the gap with mortar and leave the nails in place?

4.jpg

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
your first pic shows what looks like a mechanical DPC at ground level.
pic 2 shows the DPC higher up .
pic 3 i cant see any DPC. iis it behind the newish pointing?
you can pull the nails no problem.

never just point over the top. always rake out to about 20mm - 25mm before repointing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back