Moving a spured socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can any one advise on moving a spured socket 2M/6ft along a wall.

My wall is plasterboard dot/dabed on to thermalite blocks.

I propose to fit a blanking plate over the original socket & either crimp or use a junction box behind this to join/extend the cable horizontally along the same wall.

How deep & what protection is needed for the flat 2.5mm cable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks

I have old style removable fuses,no RCB or MCB's.

Can't I have cable under capping or in conduit?

Do I still have to bury the cable 50mm (from the surface)

The original cable down to the socket looks to be done this way.

Wall is the outside wall of my lounge.

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be run in mini trunking on surface or under capping to assist with plastering but since it is a socket under 20 amp it will need RCD protection what ever you do to cable and the only difference between buried at less than 50mm and surface or more than 50mm is where the RCD can be located. If the cable does not need protecting then a RCD socket could be used but likely some of the cable will require protecting so at consumer unit is more likely to be correct location. Using Ali-tube could help but unlikely so I did not talk about it.
As with most jobs there are many ways to do it and also some gray areas so unless I write an essay I am bound to miss something.
Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back