Multifinish on Gyproc coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I skimmed over a small Artexed ceiling in my house yesterday.

I applied 2 coats of PVA (which dried very quickly), then another PVA and skimmed when tacky - which I believe is correct?

The first coat of Multifinish dried so quickly I spent all my time concentrating on getting the lines out and forgot to clean the coving.

This morning I've got a nice flat ceiling but Multifinish all over the coving, is there any way I can get this off without damaging the coving?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I applied 2 coats of PVA (which dried very quickly), then another PVA and skimmed when tacky - which I believe is correct?
The initial PVA coats should be put on at least the day before & left to dry out overnight, preferably for 24 hours, then PVA again & skim when tacky; probably would have made your life easier.

If the coving is painted, (& so slightly sealed) & the plaster residue is stuck fast, you could try a green kitchen scouring pad. If it shows no sign of budging easily then medium grit wet & dry paper (better than sand paper) should do it but it must be dry; very much a case of trial & error now it’s gone off I’m afraid.

Sponsored Links
Or you could try a bucket of warm to hot water and a sponge,soak the sponge in the water squeeze some out then hold the sponge on for a while and it should soften the skim. If this doesn't work get some small pieces of sponge the size of the skim and soak them and tape them over the skim and leave for a while and it should wipe off....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back