My ply sub floor is like a spring board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought vinyl tiles for an area of about 4x4ft. The area is concrete and not exactly true. I bought 4 pieces of ply which were about 10mm thick, each just over 2ft sq. Naturally thats for a sub floor. Anyway I cut the ply to fit the odd angles of the door frames and bought an adhesive which is suitable for wood and concrete and fitted the ply and stuck it down. I put filler in the joins, big cross where the 4 pieces come together, and went over it with sander to give it an even feel so that no joins will show through during wear and tear.
Everything seemed ok so I laid the tiles with self adhesive backs. I was pleased with the end result, looked great. UNTIL we had a lot of rain and everywhere was damp. Including the ply sub floor beneath the vinyl tiles. Yes, the middle was raised where the timber got damp and expanded, I dont think there is an easy or short cut way to solve this problem. totally my own fault, so obvious, can't believe I was so stupid.
I am trying to slowly pull up the tiles without damaging them. They certainly do adhere, it's a hell of a job pulling them up one at a time. I made a plan of the floor and marked each square by number and the tiles as well so I can put them all back in the same square they came from.
I can hear some clever clogs out there dying to burst my bubble by saying, "What if the vinyl tiles got stretched slightly with all the pulling, they wont fit properly when you come to relaying them".
I half expected that, in fact I was surprised they didn't break at all. Anyhow, I can but hope for the best and any tips or if anyone can suggest anything, I'm open to any ideas, Worse come to worse, I'll have to buy new tiles. Not the end of the world, is it.

Sponsored Links
I think you should rip it all up mate. The put a good screed down like F.ball green bag and 114 liquid or ardex na if going over old adhesive.
Why did the floor get wet?

I think you should rip it all up mate. The put a good screed down like F.ball green bag and 114 liquid or ardex na if going over old adhesive.
Why did the floor get wet?
Thanks for your reply, I'm pleased to say that it has turned out perfectly eventually.

I am really glad because I don't think I could go through all that again, You see, I am in a great deal of pain because a short while ago I was hit by a vehicle smashing almost every bone in my body including my back and both pelvises. Unlike an arm or leg, the pelvis can't be set in plaster. It was a year before I could throw away the crutches. At first strong pain killers enabled me to walk unaided, but after a while even Oramorph (morphine medicine) didn't work. An xray showed advanced arthritis and the hip joint was badly worn away.I suppose at 65 it's to be expected. I've been waiting 6 years for a hip joint replacement but because both my legs are ulcerated, the hospital refuse to operate in case of infection in the bone. The ulcers are now 14" top to bottom and almost right round my leg.
They are tended by nurses on a daily basis.
Believe me the combination of all the pain on a 24 hour never letting up sometimes almost brings me to tears, so the fact that I couldn't rip up my floor because you say so is way down on my list of priorities. Luckily it has turned out perfect and all I had to do was spread some adhesive before relaying the tiles.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

blimey m8,
just for info,i got a splinter in my thumb yesterday and it bloody hurt. :LOL:

respect to you m8,you must have been in agony,glad your slowly getting better.

Sponsored Links
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

blimey m8,
just for info,i got a splinter in my thumb yesterday and it bloody hurt. :LOL:

respect to you m8,you must have been in agony,glad your slowly getting better.

Thanks for your kind words. Hope you managed to remove the splinter, it can be very painfull, especially in the thumb because we use it all the time. Good luck.
Micky(django47)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back