nailer , stapler recommendations Dewalt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at nailers & staplers, not 100% sure i need one, but in past may have been useful - particularly if it does staples as well
But a range of sizes maybe 25mm - 100mm
I would like on for general use , which can take a mixture of size
general cabinet / furniture making, upholstery , maybe fencing
Things like adding a hardwood trim to MDF shelving, Carcass construction

I have a range of Dewalt cordless tools and so have a few 18V Batteries for Dewalt

not seen a general purpose unit

Also my daughter is considering starting a picture framing service as she is asked numerous times to make up pictures and frames

any recommendations

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Different uses - the DW 18 volt system has 2nd fix nailers (16 and 18ga) as well as a couple of staplers (well, certainly at least one), but you won't find a trade type gun which does both. The reason is relatively simple - staplers require a drive pin which is the width of the staple crown, pinners (2nd fix nailers) only need a very narrow driver. If you consider that a pinner has to be set up to sink the heads of the pins just below the surface attempting to do that with a 6 or 10 or 14mm drive pin, as you have with a stapler or combined stapler/pinner (there are cheap pneumatic combi guns around), would leave a large unsightly dent whenever you drove a pin.

Also different sizes for different uses: fencing - 1st fix nails (2.5 to 3.1mm diameter clout head nails); general cabinet / furniture making - probably 2nd fix 18 gauge combined with glue (16 gauge and 15 gauge are more for 2nd fix construction work such as fixing architraves and skirtings); upholstery - staples (narrow crown); hardwood trim to MDF shelving - 2nd fix pinner (18 gauge or 22/23 gauge). 22/23 gauge is what trade shops use as the pin holes are a lot smaller tha 18 gauge. Unfortunately that means you'd need 2 or possibly 3 different guns to cover everything because different size fixings need different size guns.

TBH if you want more bang for your buck you'd be better off doing something like buying a small compressor kit, such as this one from Machine Mart (there are others, but this one has a combined stapler/18 gauge pinner):

Bandit Compressor Kit.jpg

then adding decent quality pneumatic guns to it as required, than shelling out £500 to £700 on three DW cordless guns (bare). Note that DW make a very competent manual stapler which also fires 18 gauge pins.

The other thing to mention is that whilst cordless guns work perfectly well on site, they are big, heavy and unwieldy for bench use - trade shops generally use pneumatics as they are cheaper and lighter to use, not to mention being easier to positions accurately and extremely long lived (as a result of simplicity)

Also my daughter is considering starting a picture framing service as she is asked numerous times to make up pictures and frames
For picture framing your daughter probably needs to look at two completely different tools, a frame joiner like this one:

Corrugated Fastener Frame Joiner.jpg

which drive a V-nail or corrugated fastener into the underside of the mitre joint. There are manual versions of this which are cheaper, but a lot more hit and miss to use I found (costing £15 to £20 or so from art shops):

V-Nail Manual Driver.jpg

The other tool to consider is a sprig or point setter like this one:

Point Driver Lion.jpg

which drives triangular sprigs or points which hold the glass, matte, picture and backing board (apologies if the terminology isn't 100%, but I'm a "wood butcher" not a picture framer), etc in place. There are alternative systems to do the same job and Framers Corner do a similar DIY gun at about £30. The web sites of the two firms in the links (Framers Corner and Lion) are worth looking around to see what is used and available for picture framing, both tools and materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for such a comprehensive reply

Unfortunately that means you'd need 2 or possibly 3 different guns to cover everything because different size fixings need different size guns.
yea , thats the conclusion I was coming to as well , nice to get that confirmed
I'll stay with the hammer then , worked ok for the last 45 years on DIY

For picture framing your daughter probably needs to look at two completely different tools, a frame joiner like this one:
Those tools are all useful and priced, I have sent over to my daughter & son-in-law

Thanks again

Happy new year

I have only ever own one compressor based nailer/stapler. It is absolute chite. I purchased it after an O ring in my Axminster 18G pin gun split and I was desperate. I purchased it from Toolstation. After buying it my heart sank when I realised that it was made by Silverline.

Both staples and brads get stuck every few minutes.

I went out and purchased a Tackwise Duo for about £75, that is equally rubbish. Again it clogs frequently. It has the advantage of a quick release "nose" but the brads normally get wedged down the side of the firing pin. Oh, and the power flex on the Tackwise is only about 1.5m. It is practically useless without an extension lead.

BTW, I think a fencing gun will possibly need much thicker galvanised staples.

I agree that a small compressor is a better option rather than a gas or battery option.

Sponsored Links
they are looking into a few compressors now
SGS Engineering

But I will nolonger look for me and just keep to the hammers i have used for years

SGS sell a lot of Italian compressors. Like a lot of other tools they are fine for light duty work (for industrial use you need cast iron, 2-stage, but that's a whole different ball game). Main things with compressors is to always drain the receiver off at the end of the day - if you don't water will accumulate in there and eventually rot out the bottom of the receiver, often near the drain cock - and put a coalescing filter/regulator on the output side as this will reduce the amount of water and oil you blow onto the workpiece.

There are a lot of good quality guns at reasonable prices (brands include Senco, Bostitch, Grex, DW, Makita, Hikoki, etc), but for framing something like an oilless gun would probably be best. Pneumatic tools either need a couple of drops of oil before each session or need to be connected through an automatic oiler to avoid seizing - and when put away for any period, or at intervals, they do need to be stripped down and thoroughly cleaned as they can accumulate cream coloured gunge (a mixture of air tool oil, compressor oil and water from the air) even with the best filtration

they are looking into a few compressors now
SGS Engineering

But I will nolonger look for me and just keep to the hammers i have used for years

If they are buying a small portable compressor (ie one with a small air reservoir), I would recommend paying a little more for a super quiet one.

Like a Bambi? Diaphragm as opposed to reciprocating pump. Banks seem to love them

Like a Bambi? Diaphragm as opposed to reciprocating pump. Banks seem to love them

Banks? That went over my head.

Mine is an old Nardi. The air reservoir is very small but it is mainly used for 18g brads and occasionally for dusting off cabinets before spraying them with a turbine based HVLP.

Banks used compressed air for some sliding doors and the upward activating anti-robbery screens some banks have are also powered by compressed air held in large receivers - they use (often multiple) Bambis to top up the large receivers used to store the compressed air because they are so quiet. at least that's what I've seen compressed air used for, although I haven't "done" a bank (fit-out) since the 1990s

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back