Need advice restoring/plastering bad heater cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I thought I would put this in a separate thread from the asbestos one. So looking at this heater cupboard it's pretty horrible. It's still part of the bathroom so would like to make it as presentable as possible.

Looks like the previous owners made a quick bodge of this, putting in the new heater and not even repairing the damage to the plaster they made taking old pipes out :(

I've been a bit asbestos paranoid and assumed the plaster could be mixed asbestos, though it could also be lime and sand plaster as my dad and others have suggested. Either way it's been partially smashed off (taking off one of the pipes I presume?) and there are crumbled bits on the floor. So plan is to clean up the mess and repair and plaster over the damaged and exposed brick areas.

Problem is the boiler is in the way. I assume a gas safe plumber can take this down temporarily?

Here are some pictures. The montage is what's below the shelf. Any advice you can offer would be great. Also anyone know what sort of metal those old pipes could be? My dad thinks it's not lead as lead has a more warped look though who knows. I was thinking of giving them a bit of a sanding and painting over.

(Click on thumbnails for larger image)

Sponsored Links
Either way it's been partially smashed off (taking off one of the pipes I presume?) and there are crumbled bits on the floor. So plan is to clean up the mess and repair and plaster over the damaged and exposed brick areas.

Problem is the boiler is in the way. I assume a gas safe plumber can take this down temporarily?

If it was me, would not be removing a boiler to tidy up the inside of a cupboard.
You should be able to do some tidying to work round though and avoid replastering.

A couple of things to consider -

Where plaster is exposed and crumbly, you can paint on a strong mix of pva/water (Say 1:1) and this should reduce bits falling to the bottom of the cupboard.
In terms of painting, I don't think emulsion likes pva, but if you had any areas like this, could always put on something like gloss first so subsequent emulsion sticks.
Rather than plaster the whole inside, you could use easifill to patch up.
Then sand down and repaint any pipes that are flaky.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Nick. Yeah I figured taking off the boiler would be too drastic. The easyfill sounds good as I still want to make good of that exposed brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back