Nest Y plan (hot water turns heating on)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New to the forum so hello and any help is appreciate.

Just installed my Nest 3rd gen on our Y plan heating system. I wanted to keep the thermostat in the same place so I decided to wire the heat link into the wiring centre (I’ll put a picture of wiring centre below before nest)

however I‘ve encountered a strange issue, the heating works perfectly on/ off etc but as soon as the ‘hot water’ turns on it also switches the heating on and the thermostat has no control over heating whilst hot water is on.

64649DBC-EC53-453F-A81E-0A27405AB630.jpeg

7EE90237-8FC3-4754-8B2D-DFEA965A22DD.jpeg

How I connected the heat link was;

L+2+5 = from fused 3a
Neutral = from wiring centre middle
wiring centre 8 to heatlink 4
wiring centre 9 to heatlink 3
wiring centre 10 to heatlink 6

in order to reuse thermostat wire I linked 2 & 3 and removed the black wires and placed these in T1 & T2.

as mentioned everything fired up and seemed okay until the hot water kicked in and overides it all.

as a note, the 3 port valve works fine as had to put system back to old style as needed hot water without heating. Plus I did leave the old programmer in situ while is did this and just turned both water and heating off.

I assume I’ve mixed up some cables somewhere so any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

New to the forum so hello and any help is appreciate.

Just installed my Nest 3rd gen on our Y plan heating system. I wanted to keep the thermostat in the same place so I decided to wire the heat link into the wiring centre (I’ll put a picture of wiring centre below before nest)

however I‘ve encountered a strange issue, the heating works perfectly on/ off etc but as soon as the ‘hot water’ turns on it also switches the heating on and the thermostat has no control over heating whilst hot water is on.

View attachment 323076
View attachment 323077

L+2+5 = from fused 3a

in order to reuse thermostat wire I linked 2 & 3 and removed the black wires and placed these in T1 & T2.

as mentioned everything fired up and seemed okay until the hot water kicked in and overides it all.

as a note, the 3 port valve works fine as had to put system back to old style as needed hot water without heating. Plus I did leave the old programmer in situ while is did this and just turned both water and heating off.

I assume I’ve mixed up some cables somewhere so any help is appreciated.
For the mid position valve to work you must use terminal 5 on the heat link HW off

For the mid position valve to work you must use terminal 5 on the heat link HW off
Sorry Ian,
Terminal 5 is common.
Terminal 4 and 6 are HW N/C and N/O respectively.

L+2+5 = from fused 3a
Could we have a picture of these connections as well, please?

Hiya,

thank you for the responses.

please see pictures below. Please ignore the fact I used an earth cable for wiring.

4366CC10-123B-4007-B620-ADF1739E82AA.jpeg

2EBEDD6C-6793-4189-9AA5-4BF529598075.jpeg

A40468D3-D9DA-4287-96F9-7604F9243ECB.jpeg

Sponsored Links
just wired it again quickly to show
At a very (very!) quick glance, your wiring looks operative (excluding breaches of wiring regs, cable grips, oversleeving, Heat link requiring an earth when T1&T2 used, using green/yellow wire for a switched live etc... !).

To rule out a sticky relay on the Heat link, can you pull out and safely isolate the cable connected to terminal 3 of the HL, and see if the system goes to hot water only?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back