New Bosch washer makes very loud click at start and end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got new Bosch washing machine - was32460gb - from their quiet Logixx 8 range. It is quiet running but after selecting any program, once the start button is pressed there is a very load click / crack from within the machine, it also does this again once the program has finished. Sounds like a huge relay is making - actually like the sound you get if you put a 12" ruler onto a desk, pull one end up a little and let it crack back down.
Anyone (or washer engineers) know if this is normal ?
Its so loud that it is actually louder than the 'end wash' beeper.
The one at the start happens before anything in the machine is moving or water is flowing and the end one after the machine has fully stopped.
Thanks in advance if anyone can say if this is normal or not.

Sponsored Links
Its the door interlock....quite normal. Some are louder than others, nothing to worry about.

Thanks zipper. I would have thought that would sound like it was comming from the door latch area though. This sounds like its comming from about the centre, above the drum but obviously below the machine top surface.
I was inquiring here as Bosch support said it didn't sound normal to them and are offering a return, but its the second one I've had that makes this noise. If I were to set it on the timer to be ready when I get up in the morning, this noise is so loud it defeats the overall quiteness of the machine and would probably wake me up.
Do you still thisk its that ? Several older machines I've had you could hear the door lock and it was about a 20th the volume of this. They were a click, this is more like a crack.
Thanks any in advance.

If Bosch are offering a replacement just go for it. Some Bosch/Siemens door interlocks can be very vocal, you may well find that machine nr. 3 is exactly the same.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again zipper. Just been back to listen and feel the crack (excuse pun) and you maybe right. Now you have pointed me to it, it does 'feel' and sound as though its around the door catch mechanism but I'm amazed how loud it is. Also surprised that the 2 people I spoke to at Bosch never even suggested that may be it.
What did you mean in your reply by 'machine nr. 3' ?
Do you do washers for a living ?
Once again, many thanks.

but its the second one I've had that makes this noise.
I assume you have exchanged it once already, which makes your present machine number two...
Yes...I am one of the unfortunate souls that make a living repairing domestic appliances. Why do you ask?

Thanks zipper, really appreciate your help. Firstly, it was an LG sent back earlier because of same 'problem'. Again their help desk never twigged or thought of door lock. So not sure if worth taking a swap on this Bosch and hoping it will be quieter as I guess they will all sound the same.
Just checked again and I think your on the money. It has the ability to pause the machine (reload function) and it checks if door is safe to open (water level, temp, etc). If it is it displays YES. Just been through that as a test, start the machine = clunk, press Reload and YES comes up = clunk, pressing restart = clunk, machine ends = clunk.
I guess from your experience, machine to machine in same range aren't going to be any quieter ?
Much appreciated, your a star.

In general Bosch & Siemens washers (basically the same machines) do tend to have noisier interlocks than some other makes.

Thanks again. I doubt that replacing this with a like for like same model is going to be any different then, do you ?
Its standing in the open for test at the moment so although obviously the locking mechanism is at the front of the machine, it may get muffled a little when it goes into its hole in the cabinets
By the way, the LG was worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back