New Central Heating Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have an old central heating boiler (that needs replacing) and a water heater that supplies hot water.
I am going to buy a new condensing boiler (possibly a Vaillant), but I am not sure whether to replace both with a combi boiler, or to keep my water heater, and buy a regular condensing boiler.
I've heard that condensing boilers only last 7 or 8 years. If I keep the arrangement I have now, the central heating only needs to be turned on for 6 months a year. Would this extend the life of a condensing boiler, since it'll be switched off in the summer months ?

Sponsored Links
At the moment I have an old central heating boiler (that needs replacing) and a water heater that supplies hot water.
I am going to buy a new condensing boiler (possibly a Vaillant), but I am not sure whether to replace both with a combi boiler, or to keep my water heater, and buy a regular condensing boiler.
I've heard that condensing boilers only last 7 or 8 years. If I keep the arrangement I have now, the central heating only needs to be turned on for 6 months a year. Would this extend the life of a condensing boiler, since it'll be switched off in the summer months ?

Buy quality combis and no probs. Do not cheap and nasty. Great value for money in quality and price/performance is the Avantaplus range by Remeha. Remeha own Baxi now, but fior now avoid Baxi until Remeha overall the company from crap products to quality. The 35C or 39C will work very well.

Or for RR quality and great efficiency go for ATAG. The A325EC is selling well as it includes a GasSaver. Get the outside weather compensator sensor. Great value for what it is.

Can anyone answer my question ?
Can I prolong the life of a condensing boiler by only switching it on in the winter months ?

Boilers are best used regularly.

If you dont want to get rid of instant water heater yet you could get a combi boiler installed but only connected for heating for the time being.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Can anyone answer my question ?
Can I prolong the life of a condensing boiler by only switching it on in the winter months ?

Condensing boilers do not last just 8 years. A quality product will last 25 years. Get a quality combi. Your question was answered.

Numerous people on this forum have stated that condensing boilers do not last anywhere near 25 years, even the best !
There are a multitude of things that can go wrong with them, and when they get to a certain age, it is not cost-effective to have them repaired.
Question answered ?
...Possibly, but I would like to get other opinions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back