new combi and rads getting installed...advice welcome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I've decided to get a new combi and 7 new convector rads in my new home. Property is a 2 storey 3 bed semi (with 2 occupants) built circa 80-100 years ago with thick sandstone walls and high ceilings.

I've had to local GSR/CH engineers around to quote...1st guy was Baxi/Potterton guy and recommended the 33kW baxi platinum or for £100 cheaper the potterton titanium 33kW

2nd guy wanted to installa WB but could only offer 2 year warranty as it was a 'homer for him'

Been looking also at the Ideal Vogue 32kW or logic+ 35kW..but have read on another forum that the vogue has had problem with the gas injector o-rings not sealing...so do I stay clear of the vogue then?

Also 2nd guy said Ideal's aftersales and tech back up is pants...any views on this..or just sales patter?

Other possibles are the vaillant 837 plus...intergas eco RF 36 (5 year warranty) or viessmann 200-w but requires a viessman approved to get a decent warranty.

So not getting a WB for sure and want at least 13l/min on the DHW @35 deg ries and a 5 year warranty....measured flowrates at kitchen sink and upstairs bath cold tap were 18 and 25 l/min respectively.

So any GSR/CH engineers reading this would appreciate any advice....tbh am leaning to the one of the ideals or baxi/potty's but am open to suggections

Thanks

Danny

ps can anyone direct me to an accurate BTU room calculator website?

Sponsored Links
Take the view (maybe?) that all boilers are carp & the long warranty may not amount to a bag of beans

most manu's insure there boilers through some one like D&G so may well get paid to fix there own faults

most boilers have got more plastic in em than u would find at a tupper ware party in the70's manu will tell u its better :) cheper is the only reason (maybe ?)

most components used on any boiler probably come from about 20 different pts manus , fortunately most of em do not make the electronics that we have in our telleys or other white goods ;)

:)

I'd go for the vaillant personally. I fit mostly vaillants as I find them to be well made and as reliable if no more than the others. Comes with a 7 year warranty if fitted by an approved installer or 5 as standard.

Sponsored Links
thanks everyone for their replies so far.....need a good website to calculate room BTU's ?

going to opt for a magnaclean pro2 or twin tech...any preference?

the 2nd guy works for a co. that installs only WB but he also is subcontracted by British Gas to install baxi's and pottertons....so that's slighty swaying things in that direction....I hear ya about the vaillaint its dearer but may be regarded as a higher quality/technical product ......got the new Baxi EcoBlue to consider too lol....if paying over £1000 boiler only (retail).....main thing is I don't buy an absolute 'dawg' of a boiler...

....btw any who has a Ford I'm a sort of middle order batsman on TalkFord forum and can help you out if you have a prob. with your car...I don't frequent as often now as they can become petty but let me know on here and I'll help ...and know all the 'big-guns on there'

cheers

Danny

wee update here...the 2nd quote we got from the guy doing the 'homer'....his Gas Registration is under his company's name and not his own.....should I walk away from him? any issues with this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back