new comp advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm looking to buy a new system and have seen this one, does anyone have any comments good or bad for this. Price is £466. I'm not a gamer but need reasonable amount of power for photoshop etc.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.40GHz (800FSB)
- Asus P5K SE Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
- Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 DHX PC2-6400C5DHX TwinX (2x1GB)
- OcUK GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Daul DVI (PCI-Express)
- Corsair 650W SLI TX Power Supply
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
- Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVDRW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Looks like a reasonable spec. (good quality components) at a fair price.
Does this include a system case?

Don't forget keyboard, mouse and monitor :D

Does it include the operating system? If not, then you could probably shave off about £80-£100 by buying the bits and putting it together yourself. Including case!

Just gotta know where to shop ;)

Sponsored Links
Shop around, buy the parts. I built a machine for someone last week using an Antec case, which came with one of their own Earthwatts power supplies, which themselves are pretty good. Case & PSU were £50 all in.

The Corsairs are good* but that particular model will be overkill with that motherboard, which will only support one single video card. Unless you are using multiple vid cards, then a good 400 to 500w PSU will suffice, especially with an efficient Core 2 CPU.

...and you should be able to get a 320 or even 400gb hard drive for under £30.

For P-shop, double the memory (while it's still dirt cheap.)

The Video card you are getting will also be overkill if you are not gaming at all. Non gamers should never spend more than £40.

(* both the Corsair and the Antec Earthwatts are made by the same company. Seasonic)

{edit}

Addendum: 500GB drive for £35 - Woohoo!

Back