New Consumer Unit

So I am getting the general idea that this additional isolator is not required!
The problem is that without one, if you do want to add another CU, or change one, there is no legal way to isolate the supply to it - your only legal option is the time consuming and costly method of waiting for the DNO to come out and pull the supply fuse.

Yes, I know that lots of people pull the fuse, and yes I know it's safe if you know what you are doing, and yes I know that the chances of being prosecuted if nothing goes t*ts-up are smaller than a small thing that is very small, but it is illegal, and nobody should be advocating illegal acts.

I thought it was an addition in the 17th edition that all board changes must have a isolator fitted!
What did you read which made you think that?

Sponsored Links
Distribution Network Operators (DNO's) are not bound by BS7671 (well, they choose not to be) so 17th edition doesn't really appear on their radar, they work to the ESQCR (Electricity Safety Quality and Continuity Regulations) so their priorities, and therefore their methods of working are a little different to ours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back