New gloss on skirting boards - how long before carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are glossing our skirting boards and having carpets fitted on the 18th and 19th. We had intended to do it well in advance to give the gloss time to harden, but decorating always takes longer than you think it will and we're going to end up doing it on the 11th and 12th instead.

This gives only six days of drying/hardening time for the gloss - it is Dulux Non-Drip Gloss (not the quick dry stuff as we've always found that to be too thin) and says overpaintable in 16 hours, but I know from experience that it's still tacky after a couple of days.

I am getting a bit concerned that our skirting boards will end up being scratched and/or fluffy when the carpet fitters come - does anyone have any advice or words of reassurance? The glossing will be the final job after six months of work so it's really important that we get it right and don't end up having to re-paint the skirting in five separate rooms!

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
That is more than enough time for the gloss to completely dry. As for the carpets being laid, just ask them to be careful of your new paintwork!

We were still painting last night, so a bit delayed! :eek:

Carpet goes in on Friday morning. Glossing of skirting boards, staircase strings, spindles and door frames was finished early hours of Tuesday morning. Is three days long enough? :confused:

What can I do to speed up the drying process? Is heat (radiators) or cold air (open windows) best?

:?:

Sponsored Links
ye 3 days is plenty off time. if its warm in the room it will be dry the next day you painted it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back