New installation in extension, 16th or 17th?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had building regs approval for my new extension back in September 2007. I won't be in a position to have the electrics done until around June this year. As the 17th Edition came into being between building regs approval and the installation date, will the installation have to be to 16 or 17th edition????

Just curious as other apsect of building regs are that the standard used is based on when the plans were passed, not when the work is done.

Thanks for any comments.

Sponsored Links
Technically, the its when the electrical installation is designed that matters, which is likely to be done in the head of whoever is installing it, just prior to starting the installation work ;)

It'd be kind of daft to install the new work to the 16th though in my opinion, if you were to have it PIRed in august for whatever reason, then if you'd installed to the 16th, then the electrics in your new 2 month old extension owuld be found to not comply with current standards!

Personally, for a new extension, I'd give consideration to putting the switch drops in short lengths of earth galv conduit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back