New Lights and Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I was wanting to fit 3 downlights in to the wall. The room is quite small and the only power source coming in to the room is a double wall socket.

I was thinking I could wire in a lengh of electrical wire to use as the feed for the lights and dimmer from the wall socket. But from there I have no idea what to do! If it was just a light with a built in switch or socket then it would be striaght forward.

However doing the 3 lights with a dimmer switch is a little hard. Could anyone tell me what to do or even direct me to a diagram.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean downlights? they usually go in a ceiling??

Diagrams for lighting wiring can be found in the WIKI here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582

You cannot come off the back of the socket straight into the lighting. You will have to provide a Fused Connection Unit first and put the correct sized fuse in it (3 amp, probably).

You can only do this if the socket is part of a RING FINAL circuit.

Do you mean downlights? they usually go in a ceiling??

Diagrams for lighting wiring can be found in the WIKI here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582

You cannot come off the back of the socket straight into the lighting. You will have to provide a Fused Connection Unit first and put the correct sized fuse in it (3 amp, probably).

You can only do this if the socket is part of a RING FINAL circuit.

can you?

Yes, you and I know that there are other ways to do this, but I wanted to take a simple approach with the OP otherwise there will be pages of "experts" arguing the toss and poor old CG will just give up.

Lets just leave it like that and see if he knows if the sockets are on a ring.

Then we can take other options, if needed.

Is that OK with you?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you and I know that there are other ways to do this, but I wanted to take a simple approach with the OP otherwise there will be pages of "experts" arguing the toss and poor old CG will just give up.

Lets just leave it like that and see if he knows if the sockets are on a ring.

Then we can take other options, if needed.

Is that OK with you?

Apologies,do continue.

the only power source coming in to the room is a double wall socket.
So it has no electric lighting at all at the moment?

If it was just a light with a built in switch or socket then it would be striaght forward.
I've never seen a light with a built in socket.

I'm not taking the p*** - we're all going to struggle to understand each other if you don't get the difference clear in your mind, and misunderstandings could have unfortunate consequences

MKK4870.JPG
MKK2757.JPG

. . . . . . Switch. . . . . . . . . . . . . Socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back