New noise on Potterton boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 19 year old Potterton Netaheat Profile 50e boiler that is working fine and was quiet. Last few days I have had a constant new load noise from it. It starts as soon as the boiler is called upon (fan starts), even before ignition and continues until the boiler switches off. The noise doesn't sound mechanical it sounds like what you may get with a very strong wind blowing into the exhaust.
I'm guessing it is the fan on its way out after all these years but can't reconcile the type of noise with a failing fan (was expecting mechanical bearing failure noise or something).
Any of you guys out there experienced this type of noise ? If so, is it associated with a failing fan or likely to be something else ?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Inner flue may have rotted away causing the boiler to hunt for air.

Flue blacking pannel could have become loose and boiler is blowing out air.

Get it checked out pronto...this boiler is a positive pressure and can/will blow fumes out the case into living space if certain faults develop.

The fan is the only moving part in your boiler so it seems most likely to be the cause.

Be aware that your boiler is a potentially very dangerous model which kills people so you should only have a competent CORGI open the boiler up to check or replace the fan.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I'm well aware of the positive pressure issue with this boiler. From your suggestions it sounds like super,etc is close to the possible cause as it is definitely a 'wind type' noise and not mechanical. Thanks both again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back