new toilet smelling of drains :( help appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Here again, in process of fitting new suite and sink and toilet fitted and plumbed in.

Last couple of days the bathroom has a bad drain smell, really struggled tracking it down, but my conclusion is the smell is seeping through the water inside the bottom of the toilet?? The back of the loo where the plastic waste connector is does not smell at all, but taking a wiff inside the toilet and its definitely coming from there??

How is this possible, there is good 2" of water above the trap??

It is relatively easy to replace loo with new one but thought i would ask you all for some advise before i rang the supplier and requested a new one?

Sponsored Links
Has the bath been removed and have you left the waste open, the smell could be coming from there.

Block the bath waste if the bath has been removed.

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

All drains plugged in properly. It did not smell at 1st, its definitely coming from inside the toilet as i had a good sniff all around the bathroom including on the connection of the pan to the drain and all seems fine there.

Just rolled a load of loo roll up and chucked a load of bleach in and flushed the lot? Maybe that will help?

hi all, after doing some reading around on the internet i reckon the pan has a hole in it somewhere and is allowing the gas to seep through the holes where the water flows through?

Does the above sound reasonable? Is there any way to prove it?

Sponsored Links
Reasonable? It sounds highly improbable, to say the least.
In 30 years - on and off - of selling sanitary ware I have never come across a pan letting foul air back through 'holes'.

Where on t'interweb did you read this?

Did you re-plumb the soil pipe? What's the fall rate?

If it's too steep you can get the water travelling over the poo while the poo builds up on the pipe.

hi all,

the smell is definitely coming from inside the pan.

All around connections no smell at all!! Here are some photos, fall is same as the old toilet which was installed with no problems.

Look forward to hearing back from people as to possible other thoughts?

All other traps in bathroom do not smell, shower and basin.

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

All drains plugged in properly. It did not smell at 1st, Just rolled a load of loo roll up and chucked a load of bleach in and flushed the lot? Maybe that will help?
forget the bog roll - put some bleach in the cistern - leave for a while and flush :idea:

because there might be something in that side of the workings that smells Like :mad: . It`s more likely than drain gas coming through any holes. Particularly as a lot of this sanitaryware comes from China :rolleyes: Peoples` republic. Who knows what`s in the clay .Never had a smell pass the trap in a WC in my plumbing experience - since 1970 ;)

Hi Nige,

Did as you suggest and i think you were right!! When i lifted the lid on the cistern could definitely smell something that was not very nice!! Cant say what it was though.... fingers crossed smell now goes away.

Did you get anywhere with this?

I had a new downstairs toilet fitted out, and the smell is comming through the toilet water.

Even before I got the new room fully done, I had exactly the same problem. I dont know what to do, and my dad does all kinds of building work and said the smell cant come through water....but it definitely is.

The waste from the sink goes into the main waste pipe at the back of the toilet and there is no smell from my sink hole. Its just the toilet at this stage. I have just flushed it and its fine now.

This only seems to happen in summer months when it warms up. The smell isnt every day. Sometimes I go days or even a whole week, then all of a sudden, the smells back. I open the drain cover outside on my drive, and the smell is comming from there. Its a big manhole cover and must be servicing other peoples drains.

Iv just paid £1300 to have my bathroom done and devistated as I can see me having to take tiles out now to get at the waste pipe under the stairs.

Please help me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back