New UPVC Window Frames , Defective?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, would be very grateful for your thoughts please.

I have just acquired some PVC double glazed windows (Deceuininck Heritage 2800 profile) that I am going to install.
I was just about to attach the cill when I realised that the ends of the bottom frame extrusion 'ramp-up' a little. (see photos)
This prevents the frame from sitting flat on the cill over its entire legnth - leaving a gap of around 2mm over the whole length.

I know sealent goes along the back and down the edges ofthe cill to prevent water ingress, but with this additinal gap
I've got a concerns 1) that the sealent on the back may not do the job 2) that water could be blown in from the front

The manufacturer's installation manager has given me mixed messages, firstly saying I could plain the edges down, but secondly saying that
the gap at the front is designed that way to let water out. He said that I'm over thinking it which, maybe I am but didn't inspire much confidence.
Despite research efforts I can't see any indication that gap at the front is normal , the image atached shows flush.

I attach a section of the window and photos.

My qestions are ; have you seen such 'ramps' before? If so do you beleive it to be defective or not? If it is normal , what if any aditioanl installation measures should I should take. If it is a defect should I be returning them? I didn't imagaine I'd need to be chopping new bits off!

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks Ben

Attachments

• 221030 2800 section.png
    221030 2800 section.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20221101_073919768.jpg
    IMG_20221101_073919768.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20221101_073947118.jpg
    IMG_20221101_073947118.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Cheap frame.

Follow the manufacturer guidance.

in regular application very little chance of water blowing up into the drain on a ground level sil. (It would just drain back out again) In any case there should be sealant under the frame.

be sure to use the correct width and height glazing packers.

The edges always curl, it happens during welding the mitres when the plastic is soft, if it bothers you or is excessive then get a sharp Stanley knife and slice the curl off, the manager was right. The gap at the front between the cill and frame let's the water out from the concealed drainage slots

As Crank says, it's very common for to get these curls regardless of profile or manufacturer. Simple level

it with a Stanley knife or small hobby grinder. And again as Crank says , the front face of the frame should be protruding over the flat surface of the cill to allow base drain frames to drain, your diagram does actually show it

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for coming back so quickly and for all the really good info. Just to clarify that the gap I am referring to is not the frame protruding out beyond the upper level of the cill ( I can appreciate this is designed for the drainage) but the gap that is formed as a result of these little ramps ( the peaks of this ramps are the only bits of the frame that make contact with the cill). Sounds like these shouldn't be there ideally so will shave off ramps to make flush with cill. Does that sound okay , ?? Thanks

Should stress , only shave off the ' ramp ' level, don't remove the entire ' ribbing '

Should clarify that you are only Levelling the ' ramp ' to the same level as the rest of ' ribbing' , not removing the entire ribbing

You often have to shave the bump off too when fitting an add on or frame extender otherwise it'll not seat fully on the ribs

Just a slither off the ribbing then. Would be a good thing for the manufacturer to improve for future sales. 3 ribbing sit on the cill so that's six 'ramps' to shave off each window. Good thought re extenders. Thanks again all. I'll give one a go tomorrow

Its just a consequence of the weld process, most if not all manufacturers clean out the splurge from in between the welds but i've never known them to flatten the weld unless its a sample weld to sit on a show counter somewhere

Ah thanks Crank , from watching a couple of installation videos I naively believed no prep work necessary. Glad you guys have the experience to share!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back