newbie....help! hot water heating prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my father has just had a new grant oil fired combi boiler installed, all has been well for week or so but all of a sudden when it heats the hot water there is now what sounds like air in the system. the noise kind of surges through the circulating pump but its not continuos, sounds every 8 secs something like that. when you switch off pump/boiler it stops instant. the system has auto bleed valves with the black screws about 1 turn undone. if you run both the central heating and hot water its fine?? no noise. its only noisey when heating hot water. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if its a combi boiler how can you run the hot water and central heating at the same time? do you have a seperate pump/cylinder zone valves ect?

I am sure that is not what is meant.

Call the installer back - he is responsible for it for a year.

Sponsored Links
ummmm.... it has expansion vessel upstairs near hotwater tank, pump is next to boiler downstairs. the guy who fitted it is a retired gent from down road, he fitted it and its since been checked and certified by proper inspector. like i say its been fine for week and all of a sudden it seems to have air in system when heating hot water but fine when heating hot water and cenral heating at same time? could it be water pressure?

So, is it a combi or do you have a hot water store elsewhere in the house?

You have come across a good reason for employing a professional installer!

Totally agree my friend (proffesional installer) was gonna quote to do initial job but parents wanted local friend to do it.
Anyway.... There is a hot water storage tank in airing cupboard upstairs, boiler is downstairs, probably not combi i take it? It heats water only, doesn't store it in boiler.

It sounds like an airlock in the primary side of the cylinder. See if there is a manual air vent near the cylinder, and vent it with the system not operating. If it is a sealed [pressurised] heating sstem, you will need to top-up the pressure afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back