Newbie needs guidance - Anti slip paint for concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been a reader here for a while and am now finally posting. I know it's been discussed many times but I'm struggling to find the right answer. I want an anti-slip coating on my concrete garage floor.
There's no damp and the surface is pretty good. There won't be a car on it. I don't want to spend a fortune on it but I want to be sure that when it's done, it'll last!
I found this poly stuff.......http://www.anti-slip-paint.co.uk/antislip-floor-paint-c-17.html?gclid=CN_f0d3qv6oCFfIJtAodUF9vHg

It says to mix first coat with 10% white spirit. Will that really be enough preparation on a cleaned concrete floor? If it is, great but I don't want to regret things in a couple of months.

Any guidance would be a great help!

Sponsored Links
Take a look at Gliddens they do one which has proved to be quite well established and not as expensive as some of the others.

Dec

I know it’s a lot more expensive but, personally, I would go for the two part epoxy floor paint; http://www.anti-slip-paint.co.uk/part-epoxy-floor-paint-c-27.html
or something similar.

I used to have a boat but found ordinary non-slip deck paint wore off pretty quickly in traffic areas. I know mine was a much harsher environment but after being disappointed with the performance of standard paint after 2 applications lasted only a year each, I up made my own. I used glass fibre resin mixed with fine Silica sand & a gel coat colour; when I sold the boat 17 years later, my original application of home made non slip paint was still serviceable.

Thanks guys.
I had a look at Gliddens. A good bit dearer than the one I linked to and I'd have to put their regular stuff down first as their non-slip paint can't be thinned. Might be good gear though?!

The epoxy paint prob would be very good but I'd need 5l.....would end up about £90 in the end. Do you think it'd be worth it, considering I won't take the car into the garage?

Anyone got any advice on preparing the concrete? There's no damp, oil etc so I'm assuming a good sweep and hoover is what it'll need? Then, the thinned paint as a first coat? Sound right?

Sponsored Links
Regarding the gliddens they say that the first thinned coat should be with their ordinary floor paint before the application of the non slip coating, I cant speak of the epoxy system suggested by Richard yet I can vouch for the Gliddens. Seeing that the area concerned is not subject to either heavy foot traffic or any form of vehicles the Gliddens will serve well.

Dec

I had a look at Gliddens. A good bit dearer than the one I linked to and I'd have to put their regular stuff down first as their non-slip paint can't be thinned. Might be good gear though?! The epoxy paint prob would be very good but I'd need 5l.....would end up about £90 in the end. Do you think it'd be worth it, considering I won't take the car into the garage?
All I can impart is my personal experience of some years ago & how I overcame it. I suspect that standard paint finish products have not improved dramatically more but if you’ve no desire to do what I did then an epoxy product is going to be streets ahead of “paint on” air dry mush. FFS, 90 quid for decent hard wearing, non sllip garage floor finish is nothing; the materials alone for what I did in 1986 probably cost me that much (I can’t remember) but it was still good after 18 years. Use the right gear & you won’t have to do it again; use cheap crap & you’ll probably be doing it every 2 years but, ultimately, your decision! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back