Newel post and hand rail satinwood wearing thin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently repainted a varnished and new pine staircase (loft conversion). I primed the new pine staircase with Zinsser BIN primer sealer and did the same for the existing varnished handrails, spindles, and Newels after rubbing it down with wet and dry. I then undercoated it all with white Dulux Trade Quick Dry Undercoat and a couple of coats of dark teal Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood. With hindsight, I should have used a dark undercoat.

I've noticed the white of the undercoat is showing through on the Newel posts and the handrails where it gets the most wear. It looks as though the teal satinwood is wearing through. I am going to repaint it with a couple more coats but wondering if I should use something like Polyvine decorators varnish on the high-wear areas of the staircase to avoid this in the future?

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, waterbased paints become soft over time if people touch them. The oils in their skin make the paint/varnish soft, so much so that you can rip the paint off with your fingernail after a few years.

I don't see how a waterbased varnish over the top will change anything.

A cellulose lacquer over the waterbased paint may be the better option.

https://masterfinish.co.uk/shop/morrells/morrells-cellulose-aerosol-lacquer/

AFAIK, In most cases a nitrocellulose spray will be fine over waterbased paints, but check with the supplier first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back