No cold water to bath (new feed installed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Im in the middle of doing up our first house and ive come across a problem with the bath. I have installed a new suite, and wanted to add a shower so I had to face the bath the other way in order to mount the shower on a wall. (the orginal wall behind the taps had a ledge and wouldnt have worked)

We decided to go for a standard bath mono mixer. This has a hot (22mm) and cold (15mm) feed direct to the mixer and a pull lever to activate the shower. Now when I first installed this we could not mix the water properly when it was in shower mode. We since found out that this was because the pressure of the cold was too much so when we ran the shower the cold would push through the cold, and you would have a cold shower.

So we had a plumber come and he installed a direct feed from the cold water tank in the loft, straight to the bath mixer tap. We used this for a day or two and it was working fine. I then turnt the water off at the mains to redo the kitchen pipes and when I refilled the system the cold has stopped coming out at the bath.

Ive checked a few things, the gate valve on this new feed is open and working, I removed the tap from the bath mixer and blew down the tap and had someone check that they could feel water coming out in the tank, which they could.

This would lead me to believe that there is no blockage but i cannot understand why the water wont come out.

When I removed the tap the cold is sitting there level bbut not flowing.

Any ideas, thoughts, help, or suggestions!!!!!

Sponsored Links
AIr lock. Try a search on that.
Meantime, close your hand over the combined oputlet and open both taps, for half a minute or so. If you're lucky...
Or if it's nice new tap, open the cold and suck on it! Aquavac useful...

Well I drained the system, as I had to change a valve on the hot aswell, ive reconnected everything, and did as suggested, held over the outlet, opened both taps, and I am now getting a trickle of cold which seems to be constant. I also sucked on the cold pipe when I had drained the system.

Shall I keep holding the outlet and see if improves any further? and does what happened sound like an airlock??

Sponsored Links
It sounds like an air lock to me,

Have you water at the wash hand basin? if so, then open it fully, turn the cold tap to the bath on, put your hand tightly over the basin cold tap and see if water then comes out of your bath.

Failing that, run a cold feed (mains water) through the tank connector inside the storage tank that serves that particular appliance, (with a hose)
this will knock it through and should reinstate it.

Whilst your up in the loft, if you determine that the supply pipe to your bath is serving only the basin and bath, get a plumber to disconnect it, cap it off, and pick up the mains. No more airlocks, quicker refill, and drinkable.

You may need to change the ball valve in the cistern though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back